My passion for elevating women's voices has taken many pathways.
I hold degrees in Psychology from Indiana University and Visual Communications from Ivy Tech State College, Columbus. I have also completed Graduate work in Counseling, and several certification programs and intensive writing workshops. I bring over 20 years of experience as a marketing communications and design professional, serving corporations, small businesses, and solopreneurs across the globe. My employers and clients include Sunrise Greetings, Cummins, Inc., Cook Medical, Indiana University, the Caribbean Environment Programme, and the International Seabed Authority.
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
Ivy Tech School of Visual Communications, Columbus, IN
CLICK HERE to view my portfolio.
COACHING AND FACILITATION CERTIFICATIONS:
Certified Facilitator, Women Writing for (a) Change®
I am a certified graduate of the 2009 Conscious Feminine Leadership Academy, a program of Women Writing for (a) Change®, an organization founded in Cincinnati, OH. Many of my teaching/facilitation methods stem from my training in Cincinnati and my continued connection with the Bloomington, Indiana affiliate school, led by Beth Lodge-Rigal. More can be learned about this leadership community by reading Women Writing for (a) Change: a Guide for Creative Transformation by Mary Pierce Brosmer, or by visiting www.womenwriting.org.
Certified Kaizen-Muse™ Creativity Coach
I am a certified graduate of the Spring 2014 cohort of Kaizen-Muse Creativity Coach Training, a program developed by creativity coaching pioneer and author Jill Badonsky, M.Ed., with dynamic concepts researched by UCLA psychologist, author and international seminar leader, Dr. Robert Maurer. Learn more at www.kaizenmuse.com.
Certified Facilitator, Kaizen-Muse™ Modern Day Muse Groups
I earned my Modern Day Muse Group Facilitator certification in 2015. This program is based on the book, The Nine Modern Day Muses (and a Bodyguard): 10 Guides to Creative Inspiration by Jill Badonsky. This training teaches the art of running enjoyable and profound creativity workshops while taking each trainee deeper into her own creative process. Learn more >
Certified Kaizen-Muse Infused (KMI) Master Mind™ Facilitator
I'm a graduate of the premier KMI Mastermind™ Facilitator certification program (2015). Based on the principles of Kaizen-Muse Creativity Coaching, this program was created by Kaizen-Muse Master Coaches Kathy Kane and Mary McDowall. Training focuses on how to create and facilitate imaginative and innovative master mind groups for creative thinkers. Learn more >
Advanced Creativity Coaching Training
In 2013, I completed introductory and advanced training programs with author and psychologist Dr. Eric Maisel, widely regarded as America’s foremost creativity coach.
Hay House Writers Conference
In 2012, I attended this workshop presented by Hay House featuring Cheryl Richardson and Reid Tracy in Asheville, NC.
I am committed to learning and growing my business so I can best serve my clients. I continue to invest in my skills through active membership in learning communities and working with fantastic entrepreneurial mentors.
Kim in the media!
Books, essays, and articles:
• Author of memoir, What I Gave to the Fire
• Published award-winning essay in The Moment I Knew: Reflections From Women on Life’s Turning Points
• Published essay in Women with Wings
• Former columnist for the Herald-Times newspaper
• Guest blog for Alchemy + Aim about storytelling for business
• Guest blog for The Higgins Creative about holding space and showing up
Creative Soul Mamas podcast:
"The Secret to Storytelling in Your Business"
Inspired Women podcast:
Pregnancy Loss Journey podcast:
"What I Gave to the Fire"
I've taken many pathways to my passion for communicating and lifting up women's voices, including:
- Becoming a certified writing circle facilitator through the Feminist Leadership Academy of Cincinnati. My practicum involved the creation of writing circles for young women to find their voices and share their truths.
- Co-founding a young women’s writing program in my hometown of Bloomington, IN, where I developed programming and co-led several summer camps, hike-and-writes, and workshops. I continue to create and lead writing circles and leadership retreats for adult women.
- Earning my creativity coaching certification from Jill Badonsky, founder of Kaizen-Muse creativity coaching with specialized training to lead Kaizen-Muse creativity circles and mastermind groups.
- Receiving my B.A. in Psychology from Indiana University. I then went on to complete a degree Visual Communications.
- Writing a bi-weekly community column for the Herald Times newspaper
- Publishing a memoir entitled What I Gave to the Fire
- Serving as Board Chair for the Writing for a Change Foundation of Bloomington
- Privately coaching clients to finish memoirs and publish articles in their top-choice venues
- Designing books and creating websites for clients
- Publishing a bi-weekly newsletter
- Creating a Power of Story video series
- Guest blogging and podcast interviews
I've had the honor of learning from amazing mentors and teachers over the years. My work is based on….
Conscious Feminine principles which I learned from Mary Pierce Brosmer, founder of Women Writing for (a) Change. Mary taught me how to be fierce without losing my gentle nature. She also awakened my ability for naming truths for myself and processes as they unfold. Her teachings have transformed my understanding of the creative process.
My education and learning in the conscious feminine continues with mentoring from Beth Lodge-Rigal, founder of Women Writing for (a) Change, Bloomington. From Beth, I learn to grow in my compassion and non-judgement, while fiercely holding boundaries to create powerful spaces for creative courage to emerge.
Another key mentor of mine is Jill Badonsky, founder of Kaizen-Muse Creativity Coaching. From Jill, I have learned so much about how to coach myself and my clients through the creative process without giving up. Her powerful combination of Kaizen small steps and Muse-inspired living helped me finish my book and launch the latest phase of my business. Through Jill's coaching program, I met another coach/mentor named Dawn Kotzer, who continues guiding me through my own creative blocks and tendencies toward self-sabotage so I can show up more fully for my own clients.
As a Criminal Justice minor in college, I took a class on "Alternative Control Systems" from a professor named Hal Pepinsky. I wrote a paper for this class that proved to be prophetic, titled "Listening as a Guide to Justice.”
Over the years, several authors have deeply influenced my work and world view. They include:
Dr. Robert Maurer
Writings of Margaret Wheatley, Peter Senge, the Motherpeace Tarot, Carol Gilligan, Barbara Marx Hubbard, Sue Monk Kidd, and Clarissa Pinkola Estés, have also been powerful in my learning.